Monday, January 9, 2012

Accepting Good Relationship Advice

Last night, I talked to an old friend I hadn't chatted with in a couple of years. She asked how I had been, how things were going, etc.
The conversation turned to dating. She asked how things in that department was going, and I told her things were kind of stagnant. She is in recovery like me, and she asked the usual questions. Especially the big question; am I taking responsibility for what is mine.
My answer was yes, I'm beginning to accept my faults, not blaming others for my problems, and accepting responsibility for my faults in life and relationships. She told me this is a sign of growth. To someone like me that is a big compliment. I have spent most of my life being selfish and blaming others for my problems, and I am finally to the point in my life where I accept total responsibility for my actions and faults.
She knows my dating history, and we talked about past relationships. After a lengthy conversation, she rendered her verdict. She told me I am a rescuer. She, being an avid Jersey Shore fan, told me I'm a "Snooki Magnet". Her explanation of that is my personality and attitude naturally attracts females who are consumed with drama and are looking for a dominant man to rescue them.
She said that type of woman looks to someone like me as the solution to their problems. She also said that that type would bring me down in their hell with them. Misery loves company.
I've received this advice from her before. I didn't listen. Now, I will.
In my defense I will admit I am too nice sometimes. I don't want to be the bad guy and at the same time I want to put my foot down. I have to find a happy medium. No man In his right mind wants to be a jerk. I don't,  but I do need to accept the fact I need to be assertive in a kind way.
All of this sagely advice came to me for free from someone I trust. Not only is she a recovering alcoholic, she's also a highly educated therapist and life coach. I got some good wise advice from someone who charges good money to dispense it.
Who says good things in life aren't free..

No comments:

Post a Comment